Start Issue Mapping in 2 Days!
Presented by: Paul Culmsee
Organised by: Seven Sigma
Please note: The date for this class has been changed to Dec 1-2, 2011.
“Definitely one of the best courses I have ever attended…I have already recommended to many people that they should get on the next course if possible.” Jon Gorton
“This course was brilliant. The technique itself is a valuable tool for any business with multiple applications.” Leisha Velterop
What is Issue Mapping?
We have all felt the frustration of walking from yet another unproductive meeting, wondering where the agenda went. Yet, as problems become more complex, meetings are still the place where critical strategic decisions are made.
Issue Mapping offers a solution to reducing the frustration and repetition of meetings, levereaging the wisdom of the crowds and tapping into the knowledge that all participants bring to the table. It is a sensemaking framework used to support group discussions to assist all involved to come to a shared understanding.
Issue Mapping visually maps participants’ points of view, problems voiced, the rationale and reasons leading up to decisions. These maps are created as part of the meeting process and form a central point of reference. The maps are rich and detailed, yet can be easily read and understood by everyone, even by those not part of the discussion group.
Why Issue Mapping?
- Maps decision and detailed rationale behind decision-making; maps the thinking process of the group
- Concentrates on pros and cons to an idea, encourages and explores all view
- Promotes greater shared understanding of the problem at hand
- Represents and clarifies diverse points of view, conflicting interpretations and goals, inconsistent information and other forms of complexity
- Opportunity for all to be heard, contributions acknowledged
- Keeps participants on topic – they can see the progress of the discussion visually, the bigger picture can be absorbed better and they can appreciate the validity and value of a larger perspective
- Helps participants come up with better ideas and avoids jumping to simplistic answers and superficial conclusions
- Promotes deeper reasoning, rigor and crowd wisdom
- Supporting information (such as documents and images) can easily be attached to map to back up group reasoning
- Participants can see the effectiveness of mapping and genuinely will try to make the discussion more productive
THE SIMPLEST WAY TO GAIN SHARED UNDERSTANDING!!!
Perfectly suited to both IT and non-IT audience; those involved in highly complex projects, including:
- Strategic planners
- Organisational development professionals
- Business analysts
- Change agents
- Managers and engineers
Class aims and outcomes
- Create great issue maps – clear, coherent, and inviting
- immediately start Issue Mapping effectively in your work and life; the class will focus on practical experience and map building
- Command a rich range of options for publishing and sharing maps
- Lead with maps; create direction, momentum and energy with issue maps
- Quickly and effectively do critical analysis in dynamic situations
- Organise unstructured information and discover patterns and connections within it
- Make critical thinking visible for inspection and analysis
- Recognise early, the symptoms of wicked problems and the forces behind group divergence
- Start capturing the rationale leading up to the decisions by using IBIS and Compendium software
- Recognise the importance of capturing the rationale behind decisions, as well as the decisions themselves
- Rethink the traditional approach to meetings and decision making
Gain a deeper understanding of:
- The fundamentals of IBIS and Compendium
- The structural patterns that give clarity and power to issue maps
- How decision rationale is represented in a map
FANTASTIC METHOD FOR CAPTURING KNOWLEDGE!!!
This class will be hands on. Please bring your own laptop.
HOW WE, AT SEVEN SIGMA, USE ISSUE MAPPING
- Requirements gathering
- User engagement/ User adoption
- Envisioning workshops
- Goal alignment workshops
- Strategic planning workshops
- Internal meetings
- Client status meetings
- And more
2 intense days with homework after the first day, and optional homework after course completion
The Issue Mapping manual; morning/afternoon tea breaks, lunch, tea/coffee throughout the day.
Should you prefer us to invoice you or your company directly, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the number of tickets required and details of person(s) attending (full name, email address and phone number) and company details (full company name, address, PO if required) and an invoice will be emailed to you. Paying via this method will also eliminate the Eventbrite registration fee (charged to you).